3 health red flags that point to zinc deficiency
Is your hair falling out, do you suffer from frequent colds, or is intimacy becoming an issue? The root cause could be something you never would have thought of!
Can anything cause more panic when standing in front of the mirror than to see thinning or missing hair? If your mane has begun to fall out and you are finding hair everywhere, much more than usual, it's a sign that something is wrong, and you need to pay attention. The same is true if you constantly get sick or are always looking for any excuse to avoid intimacy. Instead of focusing on those problems and lamenting losses, take action as soon as possible. Hair loss, for example, can be related to a lack of essential nutrients such as zinc (1). Let us explain more about this important nutrient and how it can factor into not only the health of your hair, but also other important areas of your life.
What is zinc?
Zinc is an essential micronutrient that catalyzes more than 100 enzymes and is found in cells throughout the body. Zinc facilitates the manufacturing of proteins and the genetic material present in all cells. It’s an important building block during pregnancy, infancy, and childhood – helping the body grow and develop healthily. Zinc deficiency can cause alopecia and affect the proper functioning of the immune system and libido. (2)
Zinc to treat hair loss
According to several studies, consuming zinc orally can help treat hair loss, even for people not experiencing zinc deficiency. This nutrient also significantly accelerates the regrowth of naturally pigmented hair shafts. Other benefits include the prevention of premature hair aging and stimulating the production of keratin. The same studies also highlight how zinc can mitigate hair loss caused by chemotherapy. (3)
Zinc for the immune system
This nutrient plays a central role in our immune system because it promotes the development and function of healthy cells that work for immunity. Zinc deficiency affects the healthy development of acquired defenses (4). Other research reveals that zinc supplementation can support immune function in the elderly and lead to healthy aging (5). If you want to empower your defenses during flu season, which has already started, incorporate an echinacea supplement to increase protection against viruses.
Zinc and intimacy
Research on this supplement has revealed that its use significantly improves libido, intimacy satisfaction, and overall bedroom performance. If you need help improving this important part of your relationship, zinc can help provide some very pleasurable and unforgettable moments (6). To help boost your nights of passion even more, you can also supplement maca, a plant that supports healthy energy levels and sexual health.
Now that you know the powers of zinc and how harmful zinc deficiency can be to the body, it's a good time to analyze if you need more zinc in your diet.
Let's get healthier together.
Your Santo Remedio Friends
References1. Saper RB, Rash R. “Zinc: an essential micronutrient.” Am Fam Physician. Vol. 1;79(9):768-72. May 2009
2. Saper RB, Rash R. “Zinc: an essential micronutrient.” Am Fam Physician. Vol.1;79(9):768-72. May 2009
3. Plonka PM, Handjiski B, Popik M, Michalczyk D, Paus R. “Zinc as an ambivalent but potent modulator of murine hair growth in vivo- preliminary observations.” Exp Dermatol. Vol;14(11):844-53. NOv. 2005 doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0625.2005.00365.x.
4. Shankar AH, Prasad AS. “Zinc and immune function: the biological basis of altered resistance to infection.” Am J Clin Nutr. Vol.68(2 Suppl):447S-463S. Aug. 1998 doi: 10.1093/ajcn/68.2.447S.
5. Mocchegiani E, Romeo J, Malavolta M, Costarelli L, Giacconi R, Diaz LE, Marcos A. “Zinc: dietary intake and impact of supplementation on immune function in elderly.” Age (Dordr). Vol.35(3):839-60. Jun. 2013 doi: 10.1007/s11357-011-9377-3.
6. Mazaheri Nia L, Iravani M, Abedi P, Cheraghian B. “Effect of Zinc on Testosterone Levels and Sexual Function of Postmenopausal Women: A Randomized Controlled Trial.” J Sex Marital Ther. Vol. 27:1-10. Jul 2021 doi: 10.1080/0092623X.2021.1957732.
Inflammation is a natural process in the body that happens when it is trying to heal from an infection, injury,...
As Dr. Juan says, Hispanics have a slight disadvantage when it comes to blood sugar. Being an adult Hispanic means...
Should men follow a skincare routine? Definitely! Taking care of the skin is always important regardless of gender or age....
Join the Santo Remedio family
Sign up for product giveaways, discounts, and tips from Dr. Juan