Improve your eating habits to achieve your goals!
Making poor food choices, eating what we should be avoiding, and doing so at the least opportune time is something we can all easily fall into, especially during end of year celebrations. With so many daily activities, our nutrition takes a back seat. When this occurs, we might see excessive weight gain due to food imbalances and constantly choosing unhealthy options.If you want to create important changes in your life, especially in your eating habits, we have some tips to share. However, you will need willpower and determination to achieve. It’s the most important part of the process. As you begin to eat better, you will also feel better. Notice the changes and positive results for both your health and weight. Below are some ideas to help:
Start your day with a nutritious breakfast
When you begin the day with a healthy, nutritious breakfast, you are more likely to have more energy throughout the day to complete your activities, control weight, and regulate blood sugar levels. Healthy breakfasts include fruits and whole grains or protein such as eggs, legumes, or nuts. Try a delicious protein shake and add some fruit for another great option. According to research, combining protein supplements with resistance training can increase lean tissue mass and strength (1).
Manage stress and emotions at mealtime
Studies reveal how stress can affect our behavior, leading us to overeat and consume foods high in calories, fats, or sugars. Stress can also cause a decrease in physical activity and reduce sleep time (2). Emotions such as depression and anxiety can cause either a decrease or increase in food consumption. Experts refer to the term as emotional eating, which is the tendency to eat energy-rich, tasty foods in response to negative emotions. According to research, emotional eating can cause subsequent weight gain (3). Checking your emotions before eating can make a positive impact on your health. An effective way to manage stress is to take Ashwagandha, which can fortify a person's resistance to stress and help improve quality of life (4).
Get eight hours of quality sleep
Healthy eating habits encourage healthier sleep patterns. When we sleep poorly or inadequately, we tend to be moody, eat unhealthy foods, and negatively impact our routine. Studies show that what we eat during the day affects the quality of our sleep at night. Eating more carbohydrates, saturated fats, and sugar influences a lighter, less restful sleep (5). If you have trouble falling asleep or if you want to sleep better, try our Sleep Formula with melatonin, chamomile, and valerian root to help you regulate normal sleep patterns.
Be mindful and present
The term mindful eating has become very popular recently. One of the first steps to changing or improving our eating habits is to pay attention to what we eat and drink. Going through life by feeding ourselves without taking time to savor and chew our food can create negative eating habits. According to research, mindfulness and mindful eating have the potential to address problematic eating behaviors by combating the challenges many of us face in controlling food intake. Being mindful and present when eating can prevent weight gain and reduce excessive food intake (6). When you are more aware of what you eat, you can easily notice what needs to be altered and improved within your diet. Eat once you are truly hungry and listen to your body’s cues to know when it’s time to stop.
Meal prep and plan
Sometimes we make the excuse that we don't have time to prepare healthy and nutritious meals, so we eat whatever whenever for instant gratification, without thinking about our health and wellbeing. Making a specific plan for your daily meals includes scheduling the times you will eat, the portions of fruits and vegetables you will serve, and the protein and fiber you will be adding daily. Doing so allows you a clear and structured view of your diet. To change habits, it is important you are clear on how exactly you are going to do it. Create a daily menu detailing meals and ensuring they are balanced, delicious, and nutritious. Remember to add snacks, as well as blocking out time for exercise. If you need a little push to get started, check out our Entalla personalized eating system and join our group transformation challenge to ensure your success!
Changing eating habits is a process that takes time and determination. Remember, the hardest part is getting started, but once you do the results will be wonderful. We believe in you. You can do it!
Let's get healthier together.
Your friends, Santo Remedio
1. Candow DG, Burke NC, Smith-Palmer T, Burke DG. "Effect of whey and soy protein supplementation combined with resistance training in young adults." Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. Vol. 16(3):233-44. Jun 2006. doi: 10.1123/ijsnem.16.3.233.
2. Tomiyama AJ. "Stress and Obesity." Annu Rev Psychol. Vol. 70:703-718. Jan 2019. doi: 10.1146/annurev-psych-010418-102936.
3. Konttinen H. "Emotional eating and obesity in adults: the role of depression, sleep and genes." Proc Nutr Soc. Vol. 79(3):283-289. Aug 2020. doi: 10.1017/S0029665120000166.
4. Chandrasekhar K, Kapoor J, Anishetty S. "A prospective, randomized double-blind, placebo-controlled study of safety and efficacy of a high-concentration full-spectrum extract of ashwagandha root in reducing stress and anxiety in adults.” Indian J Psychol Med. Vol. 34(3):255-62. Jul 2012. doi: 10.4103/0253-7176.106022.
5. St-Onge, Marie-Pierre et al. "Fiber and Saturated Fat Are Associated with Sleep Arousals and Slow Wave Sleep." Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine, JCSM: Official Publication of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. Vol. 12,1:19-24 2016. doi: 10.5664/jcsm.5384/
6. Warren JM, Smith N, Ashwell M. "A structured review of the literature on the role of mindfulness, mindful eating, and intuitive eating in changing eating behaviors: efficacy and possible associated mechanisms." Nutr Res Rev. Vol. (2):272-283. Dec 2017. doi: 10.1017/S0954422417000154.
Daily life challenges, especially now, have made people more stressed, exhausted, and even anxious. If you feel anxious, there is...
You’re probably an expert at taking selfies and finding the best angles. But did you know that excessive exposure to...
Summer is in full swing! Now is the time for light clothes and swimsuits 24/7. It is also the...
Join the Santo Remedio family
Sign up for product giveaways, discounts, and tips from Dr. Juan