Tips to avoid constipation and enjoy the celebration
Nothing is quite as uncomfortable as feeling your abdomen swell up as time passes by without a regular trip to the bathroom. Especially in this season of celebrations, when we eat, travel, and drink more than usual for the holidays. It’s important to pay attention to our digestion and avoid constipation, which is a more common disorder than you might think. And it’s not like everyone can easily turn to laxatives to resolve it, since prolonged use of laxatives is associated with harmful side effects that can cause severe constipation. (1)
If your visits to the bathroom are rare these days, these tips will help you feel lighter:
Consume more fiber
Increasing daily fiber intake benefits several gastrointestinal disorders, including constipation, acid reflux, and ulcers. More fiber can also improve stool consistency and evacuation frequency due to its positive effect on colon straining and transit time. The recommended daily intake of fiber is between 20 to 25 grams. You can consume more fiber by eating leafy green vegetables and flax and chia seeds to improve digestion (2). Another great option is supplementing nopal, a famous Mexican cactus used in the treatment of diabetes and proven by studies to be an important source of dietary fiber. (3)
Drink more water
Something as simple as drinking enough water can be easily forgotten by those who prefer other beverages. Research shows that drinking enough water is key in combating constipation. Consuming two liters daily also enhances the effects of fiber (4). Set an alarm to remind yourself to hydrate, and try adding a squeeze of lemon to boost you with both flavor and vitamin C.
Probiotics have been proven to be effective in treating chronic constipation because they positively impact the gut microbiome, central nervous system, and immune system (5). Some foods rich in probiotics include yogurt, olives, pickles, kimchi, and cheese. You can also take a daily natural probiotic supplement after a meal as a healthy alternative to controlling your intestinal health.
Super coffee, a great option for healthy digestion
Aside from being an excellent way to start your day and get going on your tasks, coffee also enhances the cardiovascular system, carbohydrate metabolism, and digestion (6). Super Slim Café is a great way to add coffee and fiber to your diet, containing five grams of fiber per serving. It also supports energy output and increases metabolism, thanks to a combination of 14 unique superfoods.
Good digestion is key to good health. Make bathroom visits regular again with these simple tips.
Let's get healthier together.
Your friends, Santo Remedio
1. Sinclair M. "The use of abdominal massage to treat chronic constipation." J Bodyw Mov Ther. Vol.15(4):436-45. Oct 2011 doi:10.1016/j.jbmt.2010.07.007.
2. Anderson JW, Baird P, Davis RH Jr, Ferreri S, Knudtson M, Koraym A, Waters V, Williams CL. "Health benefits of dietary fiber." Nutr Rev. Vol.67(4):188-205. Apr 2009 doi:10.1111/j.1753-4887.2009.00189.x.
3. Sáenz C, Sepúlveda E, Pak N, Vallejos X. "Uso de fibra dietética de nopal en la formulación de un polvo para flan [Use of nopal dietary fiber in a powder dessert formulation]." Arch Latinoam Nutr. Vol.52(4):387-92. Spanish. Dec 2002
4. Borre M, Qvist N, Raahave D, Worsøe J, Ærthøj JP, Christensen P, Krogh K. "Kronisk obstipation og betydning af livsstils faktorer [The effect of lifestyle modification on chronic constipation]." Ugeskr Laeger. Vol.177(15):V09140498. Danish. Apr 2015
5. Dimidi E, Mark Scott S, Whelan K. "Probiotics and constipation: mechanisms of action, evidence for effectiveness and utilisation by patients and healthcare professionals." Proc Nutr Soc. Vol.79(1):147-157. Feb 2020 doi:10.1017/S0029665119000934.
6. Cosma-Grigorov A, Meixner H, Mrochen A, Wirtz S, Winkler J, Marxreiter F. "Changes in Gastrointestinal Microbiome Composition in PD: A Pivotal Role of Covariates." Front Neurol. Vol. 11:1041. Sep 2020 doi: 10.3389/fneur.2020.01041.
It is true that mothers often settle for very little. They don't need big things to impress them. However, the...
You’ve probably experienced this before. You are fully committed to your weight loss journey. You’re eating better, consuming the right...
How you first see yourself in the morning can determine your mood for the rest of the day. If you...
Join the Santo Remedio family
Sign up for product giveaways, discounts, and tips from Dr. Juan